How to get around Krakow, how to reach Main Events, if and during which days there will be a possibility to access the city centre by car and where to park? These are only some of the questions that pilgrims and residents ask themselves.
You can find the answer to most of the questions on the official WYD website:
On the website of the Management Board of Municipal Infrastructure and Transport in Krakow:
Also on the Magiczny Kraków (Magical Krakow) website under the tab labeled: WYD 2016
In addition to the sources above, we present a few of the most important information for this week:
Changes in public transport
26 July 2016 (Tuesday)
Transportation lines run according to school timetables on weekdays with the following changes:
• Lines run according to summer holiday timetables: 115,127,137,142,143,151,154,162,163,183,204,244 and 451
• Lines canceled for the summer holiday period – Tram: 7,12,23 and bus: 118,132,153,409,429,439
After the morning rush hour (after 9:00am) some permanent lines will be canceled in order to launch special tram and bus lines, which will run every 3-5 minutes.
• Line S1 Kopiec Wandy – al. Jana Pawła II – rondo Czyżyńskie – al. Pokoju – ul. Grzegórzecka – Centrum Kongresowe – ul. Kapelanka – Borek Fałęcki,
• Line S2 os. Piastów – ul. Mikołajczyka – ul. Bieńczycka – ul. Mogilska – ul. Grzegórzecka – ul. Starowiślna – ul. Korona – ul. Wadowicka – ul. Brożka – ul. Grota-Roweckiego – Czerwone Maki,
• Line 50 Kurdwanów – Nowosądecka – Wielicka – estakada – Kuklińskiego – al. Powstania Warszawskiego – tunel – Krowodrza Górka.
• Line S11 Kombinat – pl. Centralny im. R. Reagana – ul. Bora-Komorowskiego – ul. Lublańska – al. 29 Listopada – Nowy Kleparz – pl. Inwalidów,
• Line S12 Krowodrza Górka – Azory – ul. Conrada – ul. Armii Krajowej – Miasteczko Studenckie AGH,
• Line S14 Nowy Bieżanów Południe – ul. Teligi – ul. Wielicka – ul. Kamieńskiego – Bonarka – ul. Konopnickiej – Centrum Kongresowe ICE.
During the time when special trams will run, the following tram and bus lines will be canceled: 5, 6, 9, 11, 19, 20, 22, 52, 144, 173, 184, 194, 501, 503 and 572.
During the cancelation period of line 22, line 21 will also travel to Walcownia.
Special parking lines will be arranged, which will run every 5-10 minutes:
• Line P12 Kolna – os. Podwawelskie,
• Line P 14 Bielany – Salwator.
27-29 July 2016 (Wednesday-Friday)
Tram traffic will be suspended on ul. Franciszkańska to the Salwator loop (traffic suspension possible from Tuesday 26 July 2016):
• Agglomeration lines will be diverted to os. Podwawelskie loop (until 31 July 2016).
Transport functions under the same rules as on 26 July 2016 (Tuesday)
30-31 July 2016 (Saturday-Sunday)
Transportation lines run according to summer holiday timetables during weekdays with the following changes:
• Canceled lines – Tram: 4, 5, 11, 13, 19, 20, 50 and bus lines: 103, 163, 174, 184
• Tram lines cancelled for the duration of the summer holiday: 7, 12, 23 and bus lines: 118, 132, 153, 409, 429, 439, resetting tram traffic to Salwator. There is still no route through ul. Franciszkańska, special lines will be arranged for trams and buses, which will run every 3-5 minutes.
Moving around Krakow – arriving without prior registration
Guests who have registered in the WYD system are able to travel around Krakow using trams and buses, as their pilgrims package allows them to do so. There has been a special ticket arranged for those who have not been registered. This ticket is valid 26-31 July, and allows for an unlimited number of rides. The cost of this ticket is only 15 PLN.
Place of Main Events – Pedestrian Access Routes
The most important events (so-called Main Events) will take place on Krakow's Błonia, next to the Divine Mercy Sanctuary in Krakow’s Łagiewniki, and also on Campus Misericordiae. A printed map can be collected from all InfoKraków information points, and also at WYD information points.
Access to sectors at Campus Misericordiae will be available only through specified routes. Those routes will be marked with letters corresponding to the sectors, i.e. A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and J. Before making the journey, please check the routes linked to your sector on your entrance ticket to the Mass.
In the case of a route closure, you will not be able to enter your sector! Pedestrian traffic around the Divine Mercy Sanctuary and St. John Paul II Sanctuary will be 'one way': entrance will be possible only from the St. John Paul II Sanctuary, then you can enter the Divine Mercy Sanctuary and exit towards the city centre.