Sts. Peter and Paul Church
Down Grodzka Street, which leads to the Main Market Square, the Royal Castle and the Wawel Cathedral, there is one of the largest and also one of the most beautiful churches in Krakow. It looks almost identical to the Jesuit Church of the Gesù in Rome – not without reason, for this Roman Church, as well as St. Peter and Paul Church in Krakow, were both built by the Jesuits.
It adjoins the Romanesque St. Andrew's Church with a Convent of the Poor Clares Sisters. In this convent the Clares Sisters have been living and praying uninterruptedly for eight centuries. In front of the church there are baroque figures of the Twelve Apostles set on twelve pillars.
In the side altar of the church, the relics of the Servant of God, Piotr Skarga, rest. He was a Jesuit from the 16th century, the royal court preacher and protector of the poor. He founded and began a Home Hospital – an outreach centre for the poor, orphans with no dowry, widows with children, as well as ailing and lonely people. Within the context of WYD preparations, this same relief effort was started again in the Church of St. Wojciech located on the intersection of the Main Market Square. In December 2013, the process for the beatification of Skarga has begun, and his monument stands on the square in front of the church.
This church is particularly associated with Karol Wojtyla. It was exactly there, on the 10th of February 1906, that the wedding of Karol Wojtyla and Emilia Kaczorowska, the parents of Pope John Paul II, took place. This fact is commemorated by a plaque on a column on the left side of the entrance.