Collegium Novum UJ
The Jagiellonian University is one of the most prestigious higher education institutions in Poland. It combines 652-year- old tradition with state-of- the-art infrastructure and pioneering research projects, which results in a dynamic development in the most innovative areas of science. Today, at 15 faculties, the University provides education to about 50 thousand students and doctoral students, within the framework of over 80 programmes and almost 160 specialities, some of which are taught in foreign languages. About 4 thousand academics and 3.5 thousand administrative staff are employed at the Jagiellonian University and contribute to its success.
The Jagiellonian University was founded on 12 May 1364 by King Casimir the Great. It is the oldest university in Poland and one of the oldest in Europe. The Studium Generale – as the University used to be called at that time – consisted of three faculties: of law, medicine and liberal arts. In 1400 the University was re-established by King Vladislaus Jagiełło, who located the institution in a newly purchased building, known as Collegium Maius. Today, it houses the Jagiellonian University Museum, which contains a rich collection of historic items related to the University: works of art, memorabilia and research apparatus (www.maius.uj.edu.pl/en_GB/start).
The 15th and 16th centuries were considered the “golden age” of the University in Kraków, which was famous for excellence in mathematics, astronomy and law, and a number of eminent scholars. The University attracted foreigners from all over Europe, who accounted for 44 percent of the students.
The famous alumni of the Jagiellonian University at that time include the great astronomer Nicholaus Copernicus. Today, the JU academic community is especially proud of Pope John Paul II, who was a student of Polish studies. The Nobel Prize Winner in Literature Wisława Szymborska also studied here.
The most characteristic landmark of the University is Collegium Novum, built in 1887, where the offices of its authorities are located. Together with other historic academic buildings in Jagiellońska and Gołębia streets next to the Planty park, they form the University Quarter, which takes the visitor on a journey into the past.
In contrast, visiting the Campus of the 600 th Anniversary of JU Revival means a journey into the future. The modern classrooms and state-of- the-art laboratories provide students with magnificent opportunities to learn and pursue their interests.
Learn more at: