Church of St. Wojciech
This is one of the smallest and oldest churches in Krakow, which dates back to the 11th century. The Romanesque church is located in the heart of the city, on the Main Market Square. The church itself is named after St. Wojciech, a misionary bishop from the Czech Republic, who, according to tradition, preached here on his way to Prussia (the northern part of Poland) where he was sent to baptize local inhabitants. He suffered martyrdom and became the first Polish patron. Through the centuries, the Church of St. Wojciech was a place where the word of God was spoken. In 1453, St. John Capistrano, a great preacher at the end of the Middle Ages, preached sermons in this church.
On the main altar piece, there is a painting of the Mother of God, a copy of the Roman icon of the Madonna Salus Populi Romani (Protectress of the Roman People). The same image was given by St John Paul II to the youth which now travels around the world together with the WYD Cross.
In December 2014, Cardinal Stanisław Dziwisz, bishop of Cracow, decided that the St Wojciech church would become the spiritual centre of preparation for WYD. Every evening in this church – as part of the “Hospital at Home” program – adoration of the Blessed Sacrament takes place, and it is also possible to go to confession and to make an offering in the church's money box for charity as a way to prepare for WYD.
The Church of St. Wojciech, a place of prayer for over nine hundred years, will be yet another place during WYD where youth from around the world will meet with Christ in Holy Communion.Read more